Wednesday, March 24, 2010

An Ode to my Best Friend

Well this post is not a book review, this is something which is more special to me. This is about my best friend Nisha.Most people at the age of 27 stop using the term "best friend", but even when I'm 72 (if I'm alive that long) I'll still call her my best friend.

I can still clearly remember her first day at school. I see this pretty girl in class all trying to figure out what is to be done, and unlike me, I go up to her , all the time in my heart thinking wish I could be her friend. Well now when I look back, I know God send her to be my special friend.We connected soon, and before I knew our friendship was becoming more stronger. The fact that our names rhymed, made my belief stronger. I shared my innermost secrets with her, my first love, and the cherry on the cake was when my teacher told my parents during a PTA that "Nisha is the best influence on your daughter."

We passed out school, joined the same college, and our circle of friends grew. We were now 5 in the group, and Nisha very lovingly called the group "Nisha & Friends". I simply loved it. College was fun, with more friends, but at the same time our friendship was entering a new phase. College ended and soon we all 5 went in different directions. I moved out to new city to pursue PG, while Nisha stayed on to do her MBA. The first picture that I packed with my stuff was a group picture of all 5 of us. Adjusting to a new place, new people, I truly missed her. I never told her this, but every night I just wanted to call her and just tell her how scared I was, and wanted to feel good with her chirpy voice and some good advise.
    
A lot of things changed during those 2 years, but one thing which remained constant was our friendship. We both made new friends, but in my heart of heart no one could match up to her. There was always a benchmark which people had to achieve to be called my friend. Yes, they were my friends, but never my best friend.

Life was moving at its own pace, me getting a job, Nisha was in Lucknow, and never in all those years did our friendship loose its shine. It was as shiny as ever. Soon it was time when I heard that she was getting married and there was nothing in the world that could stop me from attending my best friend's wedding. Seeing her walking down the aisle, I had tears in my eyes. My mind raced back to that pretty girl in pigtails, to the young girl at college, and now this beautiful bride all set to enter a new world. It was just too an emotional moment for me, and I prayed for her happiness more than I ever did.

When distance could not falter our friendship, I hoped it would not be marriage. Even after she was now married with all new responsibilities, and in a new country, our friendship evolved. It was fun talking to her about new life, how does it feel to be married and the usual girl stuff. A year later I was to get married and I got the shock of my life that she will not be able to make it for my wedding. Truly speaking I was devastated, and hoped against hope that she would surprise me, knowing how much she too wanted to be present on my special day. But I knew one thing, that even though she physically would be absent, emotionally she and her good wishes will be with me all the while.

There are very few time in our lives we come across true friends. Many come and many go, but its only the true friendships that survive the test of time. Friendship's Day, Birthdays, advice on bf's, or just the silly things meant so much to me all because of Nisha. My life is blessed with a true friend and very few people can proclaim that. No matter our calls are not as frequent as they used to be, you still hold a very special place in my heart. No matter how many friends we make in future, you'll still be My Best Friend.

5 comments:

Nisha said...

yoshaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... y do u do this to me all the time!!!!!
talking about school.. i guess it was love at first sight for both of us! i wanted to b her friend too :) and thank god i am.
if i'm her advisor, she's the one who inspires me most.everyone calls her my biggest fan when it comes to writing.. n i love her so much for that. her friendship is so pure and unconditional that it makes me wonder if i do justice to it.
i will regret all my life for not coming to ur wedding. someday i will b able to tell u the real reason.. n u will forgive me.dont worry its not that big a thing.. but it still was for me..
i missed u every second.. n u know it.
before it starts to sound realllyy emotional i'll just end it here.thankyouuu soooooo much for everything.right from arranging several dates.. to the place u have for me in your heart.i have a lot of best friends.. but if there is one best friend whom i can rely the most, it's you :)
be like u r, cheerful, loving and always inspiring.

Nitin Saluja said...

Wahh... Kya pyaar hai?? Isko kehte hain dosti...

I am proud of you guys... Just one piece of advice to both of you. Be in more frequent touch.

Yoshita said...

Absolutely lovely. be it this post for nisha or aunty shepherd's birthday message, you made me cry. the way emotions come out in your writing yosha, i don't think i will be able to match it, if i were to write something similar.
love you babes. you rock :)

Nisha said...

@Nitin: We will, alwaysssss :)

Unknown said...

Yosha i didn't know that you are such an awesome writer. very touching frndship story.enjoy ur frndship for life.